Thursday, March 15, 2007

My own vendor kit

After looking around, and even buying a few vendors from SLExchange, I still cannot find a vendor kit that can use consolidated vendors. So, I chose the next available option. I made one. Of course, I didn't start from scratch. Amethyst's free vendor provided the basic script for my vendor kit. All I did was modify her script to add in the ability to scale and offset textures. The vendor itself is very basic, just 3 prims. The centre is the display board containing the vendor script, the items to sell, the textures to use and a notecard to configure the vendor. The other two prims are the next and previous arrows. A set of instructions is also included in the vendor. Click on the red and blue buttons to scroll through the items for sale. To buy, right-click on the vendor and choose "Pay".

Anyway, my vendor is available for free at my stores at POD SHOP Keswick Mall and C&B - Chaos and Beauty.

To set up the vendor, open the "Items" notecard found in the vendor. Each line in the notecard represents an item for sale. The format of each line is as follows:
name of item,description of item,price,horizontal scale,vertical scale,horizontal offset,vertical offset,texture to use

For example:
MJ Cyan short dress,A short summer dress with prim skirt,20,0.5,0.5,0.75,0.25,box_skins_02

What this means is that the item for sale is "MJ Cyan short dress", and the description is "A short summer dress with prim skirt" on sale for L$20. The texture to use is "box_skins_02", with a horizontal scale of 0.5, a vertical scale of 0.5, a horizontal offset of 0.75 and a vertical offset of 0.25. The item for sale, as well as the texture to use, must both be placed inside the vendor. Once the vendor is configure, reset the script.

To figure out the horizontal and vertical offsets to use, see the two examples below. Usually, I put 4 or 16 pictures into each consolidated texture. For a 2x2 consolidated texture, the horizontal and vertical scale to use is 0.5, and it is 0.25 if it is 4x4.

I also found another vendor kit, this one allows you to "Click for notecard". However, I cannot edit the script, else I would have used it for my vendor kit. This vendor kit is configured by notecard too. It is made by Kayla Stonecutter for those who rent stores at Realmscape Mall, and can be found just above the fountain that is beside the teleport point into Realmscape. Right now I am using it to see the swords that I made.

And below is how my shop at POD Shop Keswick Mall looks like now, with the introduction of vendors. The cyan box is the vendor kit I made, available for free. Just remember to give due credit to Amethyst and myself should you decide to modify it.

2 comments:

Fredson Ferraris said...

You´ve just said your Vendor Kit is available for free on your shops. But as I´ve got there, it was being sold for L$100.

Have you changed your mind?

Miki Jannings said...

The original version was quite basic and rudimentary, so it was available for free. However, ever since, I have added more functions to it to make it more powerful as a vendor kit. So I have decided to make it available for a price instead. See http://mikijannings.blogspot.com/2007/03/my-own-vendor-kit-part-3.html